As an administrative support professional, you are the heart of the organization. Without you, there might be total disarray and confusion. You may only be appreciated after you’re gone and your employer is left to figure out how you were able to get so much done.
Pump up Your Resume
Your resume needs to reflect all that you do and have accomplished, so a potential employer sees the value you bring to the table. Employers seek support staffers who are reliable and contribute to the smooth running of operations. A good way to incorporate your achievements is to first describe your job duties in a paragraph, and then provide a bulleted list of your top achievements. Here are several impact statements for a legal secretary:
- Promoted from trainee position within nine months to provide legal support to high-profile managing partner. Simultaneously coordinated a minimum of 50 active cases.
- Supervised multidocument court filings for international clients, often coordinating a team of several employees to ensure timely and accurate filings.
- Provided support and training to secretarial staff and new associates in office orientation, filing procedures, computer applications and court requirements. Served as a calming influence in a fast-paced office.
- Resolved various employee-relations problems to the satisfaction of five department heads and 500 employees.
Many administrative support workers have a hard time detailing their accomplishments. Some say that they just “do their jobs” and that’s it. But after you reflect on each position, you will be amazed at how much you’ve accomplished. Here are a few questions to get you started:
- Did you train or orient other staff on office policies and procedures?
- Did you win any awards, such as “employee of the month” or “perfect attendance”?
- Did you institute any procedures that improved office operations, enhanced customer service or reduced costs?
- Did you organize any events or meetings that positively impacted the company?
- Have you used technology to improve support functions? Have you created effective PowerPoint presentations? Do your word processed reports sparkle? Did you build a customer database to improve tracking, reporting and customer service?
- Did you demonstrate the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining an emphasis on quality?
- Do you consistently present a professional image, both on the phone and in person, contributing to your company’s positive reputation?
- Did you assist with any special projects, such as creation of a newsletter or direct-mail campaign? What were the results of the projects?
- Can you manage a multiline phone system?
- Have customers or clients commended you for providing excellent service?
Copyright 2011 – Monster Worldwide, Inc. All Rights Reserved. You may not copy, reproduce or distribute this article without the prior written permission of Monster Worldwide. This article first appeared on Monster, the leading online global network for careers. To see other career-related articles visit http://content.monster.com.